Monday, March 29, 2010

Just Random Music Talk #1

So I picked up Day of Fire's new album "Losing All." And it was ... Um... yeah... FUCK YOU JOSH BROWN. Jesus Christ (pun not intended) but what is this garbage? I mean, seriously? I understand that you had a near death experience with Heroine... but writing garbage music is no excuse... Perhaps you should've just stopped doing heroine and not resort to writing some halfshit attempt at a band when the ONLY good thing you've seemed to manage of this career of yours died with your overdose. That's right, Full Devil Jacket, one of my FAVORITE bands of the early 2000's died the day you decided to shoot up. Ugh... I dunno why I thought that maybe, just maybe there would be a chance that your change in style might be somewhat audibly enjoyable... but no, I mean there's potential there, you're a fantastic vocalist, however the limits you put on yourself as a lyricist is just plain awful.

So to make up for having wasted the amount of time I wasted listening to "Losing it All," which should actually be retitled as "Losing 51 minutes and 48 Seconds..." Anyway, I ended up picking up the new Misery Index album entitled "Pulling Out The Nails," which isn't really new, but a collection of some of their earlier work. However, this is without a doubt some of the best grindcore /death metal I could ask for. The drumwork is unGodly, and really sets the bar for the genre at almost an insurmountable height. Truth be told, I'm actually taken back by how fucking awesome this album is. Of course, I don't really think you could improve much upon their last effort "Traitors" which is probably one of my favorite albums in recent years.

Another album worth picking up is the sophomore effort from Epica entitled "Design Your Universe." Needless to say, this album actually leaves me speechless almost on all fronts. While not perfect, there are definitely a handful of tracks that certainly pick up where the album lacks and does so without affecting my opinion on the album as a whole. The orchestration is flawlessly blended in with it's heavier moments and is really topped off with some of the most powerful vocals in any symphonic metal band to date.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty tired and probably should head to bed being that it's 2:05 at the moment.

Z.M.Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment